Τρίτη 14 Φεβρουαρίου 2012

HELLENISM, HUMANISM, OLYMPISM

http://www.sofiatimes.com/index.php?option=com_extcalendar&Itemid=44&extmode=view&extid=171



TEACHING VALUES AND PRINCIPLES!
A NEW GENERATION CHANGES THE WORLD!





I was born in Olympia
I took my first steps in the thousand year old dust, in the imposing
shadow of the sacred ruins.
I played in the ancient stadium, on the earth where gods
and heroes trod.
I heard the stones tell myths and legends to the wind.
In the soft, tranquil light of the sunset or in the harsh light
of summer, the ineffable beauty of the statues and monuments
appeared simple to my innocent eyes. Simple, like the ripples
of the sea and the scent of the pines.
Hermes of Praxiteles. Nike of Paeonius.The Temple of Hera.
The Temple of Zeus.
In my dreams Nike crowned me with a branch of wild olive.
...........................................................................................................
I was born in Olympia!
And since I took my first steps I have stumbled upon history.
Statues teach me beauty and serenity.
With my fingers I trace Praxiteles’s touch upon the stone.
I stroke the ruined columns and I see the sun with new eyes.
Once upon a time Hercules laboured here.
Once upon a time Diagoras walked here.
Once upon a time the Olympic Spirit was born here.
The sacred flame was kindled and the world was dressed in light.
And the road that leads to the civilizing of man was opened.
«...I belong to a small country. A stony promontory in the Mediterranean,
which has no other wealth but the struggle of its people, the sea
and the sunlight. Our country is small but its tradition is vast.».

George Seferis
From the Nobel Prize Speech, 1963.